Select a Spindle
Define the Operation to be Performed
Define the Operating Parameters
- Power Requirements-at tool or work
- Tool or Work Holding Method
Select Type of Spindle Body
- Block Style
- Base Mounted
- Flange Cartridge
- Special Configuration
Select Type of Lubrication
- Recirculating Oil
Note: They type of lubrication may be dependent on the size of the spindle selected and the operating RPM. Maximum speeds for each type of lubrication are listed in the catalog portion of this web site.
Basic Sizing of the Spindle
- Basic sizing for Boring Spindles Front Bearing Diameter to be equal or larger than the bore being machined.
- Basic sizing for Face Milling Spindle Face Mill to be 1.5-2 times the Front Bearing Diameter
- Internal Grinding
- Determine wheel size and Operating Speed.
- Select type of wheel holding.
- Straight Shank Quill
- Taper Shank Quill
- Wheel Mount (For larger bores)
- Select largest spindle that meets RPM and Quill Size requirements.
- External Grinding
- Determine Wheel Size and Operating Speed.
- Select Wheel Mount based on wheel size.
- Select spindle based on top of taper of wheel mount.
- Other Applications - Consult Gros-Ite Spindle Application Engineering
Select Type of Drive
- Belt Driven
- Direct Motorized
- Coupled Motor
- Gear Driven
Please consult our Gros-Ite Spindle Sales and Application Engineers for assistance in making your final selection.
There are many different factors used to determine the type of spindle for any one given application. Speed, Lubrication, Rigidity, Size constraints, Special Accuracy Requirements, Motorized vs. Non-Motorized are a some of these factors.
Our engineers can review the specific operation or range of requirements and recommend a spindle that will have the right marriage of features to give optimum performance.
In most cases a standard catalog design can be modified or enhanced to give you optimum performance in your application. We can also furnish a complete new spindle design, engineered for a specific task.